Waste reduction means consuming and throwing away less. Waste reduction includes purchasing durable, long-lasting goods and seeking products and packaging that are as free of toxics as possible.
Reducing waste can be as complex as redesigning a product to use less raw material in production, have a longer life, or be used again after its original use is completed. Because waste reduction prevents the generation of waste in the first place, it is the preferred method of waste management and goes a long way towards protecting the environment.
WHAT CAN I REDUCE:
- Water consumption
- Unsolicited junk mail
- Energy consumption
- Use rechargeable batteries
- Use wind-up torches and radios
- Take a shower instead of a bath
- Boil only as much water as you need
- Use a toilet ‘Hippo’, saving 3 litres every flush, more
- Choose items with the least packaging when you shop
- Bring your own carrier bag
- Compost your green waste and kitchen waste
- Use energy saving light bulbs
- Buy in bulk
- Register with the Mailing Preference Service (MPS) on www.mpsonline.org.uk and put a ‘No Junk Mail’ sticker on your door.
- Your local milkman – 020 8570 7061
Use your local Unigate Dairy Crest milkman to cut down on plastics. Milk bottles are used again and again.