Minutes, Oct 2010

Brentford Recycling Action Group

Minutes of Meeting held in

The Directors’ Meeting Room, Brentford Dock

@ 7pm on Tuesday 5 October 2010

 

Attending: Patti Horsnell, Hugh Picton, Rukmini West, Andrew Dakers, Virginia Fassnidge, Catharine Browne, Alex Rigge (LBH Recycling Team)

No Topics Action
1 Minutes of last meeting agreed.
2 Apologies for Absence: Michelle Aspinall-Baker, Sara Ward, Douglas Benford, Paul Richens, Kath Richardson, Diana Leap,
3 Canal side Recycling: Cindy is still pursuing a contact at Waterways to obtain permission for the recycling collection site. CG
4 Give and Take Day, Brentford Dock: Still in discussion – Alex has offered help.  Hugh will report again after the next Dock Committee Meeting.  HP
5 LBH Catering: No more has been heard although David Adams said he would keep us informed of progress re: theSustainable Restaurants Association. Follow up. AD PH
6 Caterers Food Waste: We agreed that we should still write a letter to LBH and Councillors about recycling the food and packaging waste left over from public functions at the Civic Centre. Andrew and Patti to draft a letter to David Adams, catering Manager at LBH. AD PH
7 Brentford Dock Children’s Gardening Club: Further news about this towards the end of this year/early next. HP
8 Disposal of used cooking oil: Rory Prendergast, Hounslow Homes, is knowledgeable on this and Hugh will check and report back. HP
9 Back to Basics week 11th to 15th October:  Let’s Recycle More campaign, LBH will giving out recycling containers at Roadshows across the Borough where residents can collect replacement green boxes and other recycling containers and compostable refuse bags!  Morrisons car park has been identified as the venue for Brentford on Tuesday 12th October, 11:00 – 14:00.  A presence of braggers (probably warmly dressed!) to give assistance and guidance would be very welcome.
10 AGM: As previously mentioned, this will be on Wednesday 24th November.  As last year, Rukmini has arranged for us to use the Age Concern/AGE UK premises which are very suitable.

We plan to start at 7:00 and close with our usual hospitality so donations of food and drink will be appreciated.  Promises so far, Sara will bring a cake and some wine . . . Virginia will bring some chopped up veg, hummus and a bottle of wine, Hugh will do his usual – soft drinks, mince pies and November cheer. Douglas will bring his perennial sausage rolls and a bottle of red. We ought to have some crisps, and maybe some more savoury finger things? . . . Maybe some cheese and French bread?   Patti will perhaps do her cheesy potatoes.

We will have a “swapshop” where members and guests each bring an item, clothing, perhaps, and exchange for others.  “Unswapped” items can be donated to AGE UK and left there for them.

Invitations will be sent to brag members, LBH recycling team officers and our local councillors. Please inform one of the committee members if you can think of anyone else who might be interested. We will put a poster in the noticeboard and in the library.

Speakers so far: Sarah Dickinson from West London Waste, Natasha Epstein, LBH, and perhaps one of our Councillors (Jason Ellars?) to discuss environmental agendas and other priorities.

11 New Homeowners Packs: These were a great success and, now that we have disposed of them all (5,000!), we have been considering the possibility of doing a new one.  We can probably use some of the   original art work from the PDF (probably poor reproductive quality!) on the website. We will look into this in more detail in the new year.  Ideas, please. ALL
12 Membership: We should have a campaign to recruit more members. We have broadened our horizons over the years and would appeal to more like-minded people. Suggest we make some decisions about how to go about this at next meeting and maybe include it in the topics for the AGM? We should publicize ourselves more and contact those people who joined soon after we began. We should have a poster on the noticeboard, and  perhaps in the library?

Alex has offered to circulate the people on our members list, which goes back to 2000, so Patti will send him the list and draft a letter.

ALL AR PH
13 BRAG Green Champion Award: Hugh renewed the suggestion that we should award a trophy for a recycling champion. He recommended that it could be called “Recycling Green Champion Award”, and awarded annually to whoever meets the required criteria – yet to be finalised. LBH are happy to sponsor such an award and attached are some websites showing recycled products which could be used as a trophy:  http://www.gaudio-awards.com/awards/sustainable-awards http://www.awardefx.co.uk/recycled.html

http://www.sculptured-glass.co.uk/recycled_glass_awards.php. Further discussion at next meeting.

14 “More Jobs, Less Waste”: Friends of the Earth Europe’s resources campaigner said: “Our research shows that a 70% recycling target would create more than half a million new jobs in Europe by 2020”. Further information in the Report: http://www.foeeurope.org/publications/2010/More_Jobs_Less_Waste_Sep2010.pdf

NEXT MEETING Tuesday 2 November 2010

to start at 7pm in the Directors’ Meeting Room, Brentford Dock

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s