Brentford Recycling Action Group
Minutes of Meeting held in the Directors’ Meeting Room,
on Tuesday 6 March 2012
Attending: Patti Horsnell, Rukmini West, Virginia Fassnidge, Hugh Picton, Andrew Dakers, Catharine Browne, Samantha Langton, Hugh Fenton-Anwyll, Cindy Gardener, LBH, Sarah Ellis, WLWA
||Minutes of last meeting agreed.
||Apologies for Absence: Kath Richardson, Douglas Benford, Michelle Aspinall-Baker, Paul Richens, Jenny Illman, (Brentford Dock Management),
||Give and Take Day, Brentford Dock: Remains in abeyance
||BRAG web site: Kath continues to do well with this. She suggested we might be able to apply for funding, in the form of a grant, perhaps? Hugh said he would look into the possibility but if anyone else has any ideas, please let us know.Reminder: Everyone please have a good look at the website, checking where possible. The Community section still needs some added script and the links need checking. Hugh agreed to concentrate on the Travel section, Virginia on Energy which they will do soon. Any suggestions for additions to the Downloads page will be welcomed, together with documents for insertion? Please submit updates to Kath as soon as possible.
||Noticeboard: Hugh will replace current display with posters Cindy produced, showing the artwork from the updated calendars to be distributed to all households before the end of March.
||Outer London Fund for Brentford: Reminder that the Spring Market will be held in the Market Square and Market Place on Friday and Saturday 9th and 10th of March (17th and 18th February postponed because of High Street closure). Live music and entertainment will play a prominent part, so please encourage as many people as you can to attend!
||West London Waste Authority: We discussed further the subjects Sarah Ellis requested our help with. Most of the items have been covered or are in hand, however, can we offer any advice about:
- Places where events can be held, whether this is cookery demos, give and take, bring days etc, any buildings are good including churches, pubs, community centres etc which have a room to rent or borrow. Several were mentioned and Sarah has taken the information but there may be others so let her/us know.
- Suggest to groups with land that they could host a textile bank, some companies will pay a group to host a bank for them. Any ideas?
- Do you know of any courses around fashion and textiles, we want to promote these and tap in to their creativity to be part of events or challenges. Ruk thinks there is someone at Brentford School for Girls – perhaps Sarah might like to make contact herself – www.brentford.hounslow.sch.uk (Sarah, please let us know if this is the best plan.)
- Use the Brag website to promote businesses and maybe individuals who repair items to help people not to throw so much away. Harrow FOE have a good example. When our updated website is fully up and running this is certainly something we can do continuously.
- Help us find real nappy users who are willing to stand up and say they use them, they don’t have to use them 100% of the time. Many mums in Brentford Dock – Hugh and Sam will help publicise, Cindy will let them have a poster for their noticeboard.
- If you know any health professionals who will be willing to tell people there is an alternative to disposable nappies let us know – we can contact them or you can pass on our details. We don’t want to say they’re the only choice; we just want a chance to allow the exploration of washable instead of disposable. Suggest Doctors surgeries, baby clinics. Sara Ward also chairs the Advisory Board for the local Children’s Centres and could look at a real nappies strategy to roll out there. Has she been able to help?
- Share your tips to waste less with WLWA and BRAG and they can be put on the WLWA websites. http://www.westlondonwaste.gov.uk/in-your-area/your-top-tips/ We agreed we would send our tips individually to WLWA for the website. Brag members will be reminded at frequent intervals to do so. THIS CAN BE AN ITEM ON OUR CURRENTLY BEING REVISED WEBSITE.
- Look at the (WLWA) website and give them feedback about the content. Sarah is aware that there is a lot of information missing which could potentially put on it but let her know what would be beneficial to fill the gaps. ACTION ALL MEMBERS.
- Help organise a swishing event in Hounslow. This is now being arranged for Saturday 28 April at the Docking Station on Brentford High Street.
Other suggestions:MORPH: Organisation who recondition old white goods for resale to poorly off people. Hugh will get details of a contact. ACTION STILL TO BE TAKEN – Hugh has in hand.
||BRAG NEWSLETTER: The contents will probably include some or all of the following:
- Publicity for Swishing/swap shop events, West London Waste Authority, BRAG, Green Drinks, Friends of the Earth etc. Transition Brentford
- Advertising on TW8 – ACTION KATH
- New Brag website – ACTION KATH
- Publicise Brag meetings
- Recycling – charity shop at Age UK, Brentford Toy Library, Hounslow Freecycle web site
- Articles/information items from LBH Recycling Team – “Hot news” – ACTION CINDY
- Include a quiz – what recycled items reappear as. – ACTION ANDREW
- Feature on Marian Gilbert (of “Glad’s Club”), who collects used postage stamps, old/broken jewellery, spectacles etc. from which funds are raised for charities.
- Feature on Rukmini and her many and varied ongoing achievements.
- Sara Ward, Hen Corner – ACTION SARA
- Paul – his gardening and gardens, work with young people – ACTION PAUL
- Messages: Recycling is now good compared to when Brag began in 1999. Well done LBH! We need everyone to pass this message, and why recycling matters, helping to keep Council tax down, minimising land fill etc. – BUT WE MUST DO MORE!
- Pictures should be included in most items.
Any other recommendations welcome.Heidelberg have very kindly agreed to print this for us.
|AD PH ALL
||Composting Workshop: To be held at Brentford Dock, residents club room on Thursday 8 March. Paul Richens will be leading this, with help from Lyndon Capewell, LBH Recycling team. Brag members will attend!
||Brentford picnic: As the Brentford Carnival 2012 has been cancelled, it has been agreed that instead, on Sunday 2 September, a picnic will take place in Boston Manor Park, all participants providing their own refreshments. Brag will attend!
NEXT MEETING Tuesday 3 April 2012
to start at 7pm in the Directors’ Meeting Room, Brentford Dock