April 2016 minutes

Brentford Recycling Action Group
Minutes of Meeting held in the Toll House, Brentford Lock
on Tuesday 5th April 2016
 
Attending: Patti Horsnell, Hugh Picton, Douglas Benford, Rukmini West, Virginia Fassnidge, Wendy Mackenzie, Tom Salisbury, Malcolm Crofts

No Topics Action
1 Minutes of last meeting agreed.
2 Apologies for Absence: Michelle Aspinall-Baker, Paul Richens, Chelsea Edwards, Andrew Dakers, Joanna de Casey-Ireland, Douglas Benford, Rukmini West, Sam Thomas, Canal and River Trust
3 Noticeboard: Further discussion concerning the resolution of this fiasco; it was agreed we would appeal to our Councillors to help us find someone at LBH to give us an estimate of the cost of installing a noticeboard to replace the one Morrisons scrapped. We have found suppliers of boards and a prospective site in Market Place, opposite the former Magistrate’s Court. Letter to be drafted.

(December minutes: Andy Chaffey, Regional Manager, Morrisons, has asked us to tell them the anticipated cost of purchase and installation of a replacement noticeboard. We consulted with Rachel Victor-Sampson, Town Manager, who has since left LBH, who advised us to contact Martin Barrow, who is the surveyor for the area of Market Square where we might like to position the board. Wendy has researched a couple of companies who supply the kind of board we had so now are just waiting for some costings so that we can go back to Morrisons.)

PH
4 Marie Curie Coffee Mornings: These continue to be held successfully every month in the Brentford Dock club room to raise funds. The next one will be on Monday 16th May from 10:30 to 12:30.  Please attend if you can! Good cause to support. ALL
5 Soup Lunches: Also held at Brentford Dock club room on the 4th Thursday of the month from 1:00 to 2:30, next one 26th May. Very good value, homemade soup and bread £3.
6 FOOD WASTE RECYCLING AT TOWN MEADOW: No further information. Chelsea will continue to pursue the food waste agenda with Cllr. Guy Lambert. (The kitchens of these flats all have waste disposal units so it would seem that the food waste recycling is not required.) CE

Guy Lambert

7 WHERE DOES RECYCLING GO?: Since we have heard nothing from any of the recycling team at Hounslow we shall wait a little longer before we endeavour to make arrangements to visit a recycling centre. Reminder to check the LBH website for information about recycled items: http://www.hounslow.gov.uk/index/environment_and_planning/recycling/waste_further/recycled_waste.htm PH
8 RECYCLING IN FLATS: Patti has asked LBH to look into the lack of any recycling facility at Brook Court and Braemar Court in Brook Road South.  No reply has been received.  Pursue. PH
9 OPEN DAY and NATURE TRAIL: Perivale Wood Local Nature Reserve Sunday 24th April, 10:00 to 16:30. Was reported to have been a great success with about 3,000 attendees. ALL
10 WILD WEST HUDDLE/THAMES WATER BLITZ: This was an evening of short talks on various topics including rivers, photography, art, litter, orchards and eels, hosted by Thames21 Brent Catchment Partnership and the Greater London National Park City initiative, held in the theatre at the Watermans Arts Centre, Brentford, on Thursday evening, 21st April.   It was a very interesting event but there was some dissatisfaction with the sound as there was no amplification.  The organisers are hoping to have another session in the future when this problem will be addressed.
11 DISABILITY NETWORK HOUNSLOW GARDENING PROJECT: Allotment space has been rented from the Brentford and Isleworth Quakers just off London Road next to the Green School and work has already commenced, preparing the ground, sowing seeds etc. The project is funded by London Sustainability Exchange who will arrange training.  If you are interested in gardening, growing vegetables, jam and chutney making, or know anyone who may be, then please contact Virginia Fassnidge  at 07810292361 who will give you further information.
12 FUTURE EVENTS: We discussed the possibility of revisiting our “educate the children” endeavours by making ourselves visible at school/community events/summer fairs etc. Hugh volunteered to ascertain activities and dates during the coming months and will let us know at the next meeting when we can decide how to pursue. HP
13 QUESTIONS FOR LBH:  At the last meeting we discussed the absence of any representative from the Recycling Team at our meetings since Louisa left and the lack of replies to emails. Whilst appreciating their shortage of manpower and the additional burden of the wheelie bin rollout, it was agreed that a list of questions be compiled to send to Natasha Epstein, (Head of Strategic Commissioning – Highways, Parking and Recycling Regeneration, Economic Development and Environment Department). Since then we have heard unofficially that Natasha has taken redundancy and has left.  We therefore agreed that we would appeal to our Councillors for assistance in finding the answers to the many questions we have raised and who we can communicate with at LBH. Letter to be drafted for consultation with the Committee. PH and Cttee

NEXT MEETING Tuesday 3rd May 2016
to start at 7pm in the Toll House, Brentford Lock

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s