October 2016 minutes

Brentford Recycling Action Group
Minutes of Meeting held in the Toll House, Brentford Lock
on Tuesday 4th October 2016
Attending: Patti Horsnell, Hugh Picton, Douglas Benford, Rukmini West, Virginia Fassnidge, Wendy Mackenzie, Malcolm Crofts

No Topics Action
1 Minutes of last meeting agreed.
2 Apologies for Absence: Michelle Aspinall-Baker, Paul Richens, Andrew Dakers, Kath Richardson, Chelsea Edwards, Catharine Browne, Guy Lambert, Sam Thomas, Canal and River Trust.
3 Noticeboard and questions for LBH: A list of questions was sent to Councillors  earlier in the year and was taken up personally with Steve Curran at his  surgery on 18th June. He said he would speak to the Recycling Team and arrange for someone to contact us.  Nothing happened so Hugh contacted Steve again and a date has been set when he can meet Patti and Hugh to discuss the issues.

Regarding the noticeboard and Morrisons, we have been in communication with the current manager of the Brentford store and await developments.

PH HP
4 Marie Curie Coffee Mornings: These continue to be held successfully every month in the Brentford Dock club room to raise funds. The next one will be on Monday 17th October from 10:30 to 12:30.  Excellent cakes!  Please attend if you can, a very good cause to support. ALL
5 Soup Lunches: Also held at Brentford Dock club room on the 4th Thursday of the month from 1:00 to 2:30, next one 27th October. Very good value, homemade soup and bread £3! ALL
6 Where does recycling go? We would like to make a visit to a recycling plant and will continue to see if we can arrange something in the future.  In the meantime, the LBH website has quite comprehensive information about recycling and recycled items if we have any queries. ALL
7 Recycling in Flats: Since nothing has been heard from the recycling team or the ward councillors we will pursue recycling facilities at Brook Court and Braemar Court in Brook Road South, and Downside Walk as soon as we can. Hopefully, Steve Curran might have some answers when we meet. PH  HP
8 Disability Network Hounslow: Invited BRAG members to visit their allotment at Brentford and Isleworth Quakers Meeting House, Quakers Lane, London Road, Isleworth TW7 5AZ on Tuesday 27th September from 1:00 to 3:00 pm. It was a very pleasant afternoon just enjoying the peaceful garden (and tea and cake!) and seeing how much work, time and effort had gone into this achievement. They are now preparing for the next season. For any further information please contact : virginia@disabilitynetworkhounslow.org ALL
9 Future project: It was proposed that, since the junior school pupils who contributed to Young Green Voices have now probably started at University, we should think about encouraging more young people in the benefits of recycling etc.  Douglas suggested that we could do something similar to the magazines but on line. Please consider any ideas and recommendations which we will discuss at a future meeting. ALL
10 Future project: “Pictures are worth a thousand words”. Malcolm suggests that we should make more use of photographs in any promotions.  Pictures are instant and don’t take long to convey the message!  Also useful for our noticeboard – when we get it! ALL
11 Newsletter: It was mentioned that as we have not produced a Newsletter for some time (2014) perhaps we should think about another edition. Possible topics for inclusion: Food waste/supermarkets, Cultivate London, Pollution – other ideas? We should discuss in detail, cost, distribution, editorship – and anything else.
12 Restart Project: This came up in conversation re. a recent item in the media about Sweden promoting repair instead of replacementThis is something BRAG have been advocating for a very long time so maybe it is time to resurrect and re-promote, suggestions and nominations could be another project?  Discuss further at future meeting.
13 AGM: This will be held on Tuesday 22nd November, 7pm at Brickfield Community Centre, Brickfield Close,Brentford,TW8 8JN. So far we have secured our guest speaker, Paul Richens, his subject will be advised nearer the date. We will try to ascertain the name of the current Recycling Officer at LBH to invite to talk to us.  There is a council meeting that evening so none of our councillors may be able to attend but we will invite them anyway, and our MP, Ruth Cadbury. Any other suggestions for invitees? Or speaker?

NEXT MEETING: Tuesday 1st November 2016
to start at 7pm in the Toll House, Brentford Lock

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s