April 2017 minutes

Brentford Recycling Action Group
Minutes of Meeting held in the Toll House, Brentford Lock
on Tuesday 4th April 2017

Attending: Patti Horsnell, Hugh Picton, Rukmini West, Virginia Fassnidge, Wendy Mackenzie, Malcolm Crofts 

No Topics Action
1 Minutes of last meeting agreed.
2 Apologies for Absence: Michelle Aspinall-Baker, Paul Richens, Andrew Dakers, Catharine Browne, Kath Richardson, Douglas Benford, Sam Thomas, Canal and River Trust
3 Noticeboard: We will continue to hold this in abeyance. PH HP
4 Marie Curie Coffee Mornings: These continue to be held successfully every month in the Brentford Dock club room to raise funds. The next one will be on Monday 17th April from 10:30 to 12:30.   It’s a very good cause to support and they do make very good cake! ALL
5 Soup Lunches: Also held at Brentford Dock club room on the 4th Thursday of the month from 1:00 to 2:30, next one 27th April. Very good value, tasty homemade soup and bread – and cakes! – all for £3! ALL
6 Recycling in Flats: We received a response from Joanna confirming that there are still no recycling facilities at Brook Court and Braemar Court. We have now heard from Ian that at the present time LBH cannot oblige residents to recycle.  In the case of communal properties, if they or the Managing Agent decline to provide/adopt such facilities, there is little that can be done about it directly.  However, as with low-rise properties, when LBH get to the point of limiting residual waste capacity/collection frequency then this tends to trigger the desired behaviour change, i.e. towards recycling.
7 Future project: It was proposed that we should to encourage more young people in the benefits of recycling etc.   Please think about ideas and recommendations which we can discuss at a future meeting.

In the meantime, Ian mentioned something for which LBH’s Recycling & Waste Team has secured external funding: to participate in a number of pan-London/European schemes to quantify the current amount of food waste being generated in the Borough – and then to devise communications and engagement campaigns aiming to encourage households to reduce such waste, or otherwise ensure that we maximise the amount of food waste that is collected for reprocessing.  At a recent project inception meeting it was suggested that relevant community groups could be approached to help deliver elements of the project, and Ian proposed that, when the time comes, he proposes BRAG as one such group.  (The timescales for any possible involvement are yet to be determined, but the project is to run, in three phases, with three different London Boroughs in each phase, until early 2019.) This is certainly something in which we could become involved.  We will discuss further when more is known of the plans. No further developments so, as there is quite a long time frame, we will continue to hold in abeyance.

ALL
8 Newsletter: We have not produced a Newsletter for some time (2014) so we are considering an online edition to appear on the BRAG website and in the TW8 newsletter. We should also consider asking LBH if they could give us some space in their Hounslow Matters publication. There are many possible topics for inclusion: food waste/supermarkets, Cultivate London, pollution – other ideas should be submitted asap. We will discuss in detail very soon.  Chelsea had volunteered to help with a publishing program so we would still like her help in formatting etc. ALL
9 Restart Project: Cathja, on Brentford High Street (next door to the Magpie!), are in the process of preparing a room for us to use. Small electrical/electronic equipment which are faulty or not working well should be taken to a Restart Party when organised, probably in early summer.  Notices will be posted in the library and BRAG and TW8 websites.  West London Waste (WLWA) is also hoping to work with other local groups to run a network of Restart parties. To find out more, look at https://therestartproject.org/RestartParty/ ALL
10 Painting Classes: Our very fine local artist, Wendy Mackenzie, is planning to conduct some water colour classes in Brentford Dock Residents’ Club Room on Wednesday afternoons from 2:00 to 4:00 pm. For further information please call her on 07848 236610 or email: wendyannemac@yahoo.co.uk
11 Brentford Festival, Sunday 3rd September 2017: It will soon be time to sign up for a stall at this event, which will be in Blondin Park again.  However, there have been fewer of us available to help over the last couple of years so we really need to think whether we should participate.  Our presence is always appreciated but it is a lot of work for just a few volunteers. Please let the committee have your views. ALL

NEXT MEETING: Tuesday 2nd May 2017
to start at 7pm in the Toll House, Brentford Lock

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s